Wednesday, April 8, 2015

True to Your Word

So in the beginning of sharing traditions such as Santa and the Easter Bunny, Vanessa was quite skeptical. She questioned things but our creative suggestions bought us time for her following along. We came up with some creative spins but I never really lied to her to try and convince her. (I've had a fear that if I lie to her about things like this, then why should she want to believe me when I tell her God is real and true, although I know she's felt God for herself, so no need to question Him.)

Last week, after I thought she was about to bust me as the Tooth Fairy (but she didn't), she started questioning things more. Some of her questions stemmed from conversations she had with her peers at school. I told Vanessa that I wanted to talk with her, and just her, soon. I was trying to hold off till after Easter.

Easter revealed more to her though -- she used her super sleuth skills and discovered a scrap paper with Daddy's handwriting that resembled the Easter Bunny's, so I made a plan to talk with her after church. Our conversation went well. She smiled because she was proud her instincts were right -- it's been Mom and Dad all along. We talked about make believe and fun. We talked about true and real. We talked about why it's important not to rat out the parents of our friends and family and to those who still believe. I noticed her demeanor change -- as if she is proud to be on the inside with the parents. :-) It's our secret that she won't share with Zane . . . at least for now (although I'm not completely convinced Zane is buying any of this made up stuff . . . :-))