Friday, April 10, 2015

POV

I still have very vivid memories and images in my head of books with impressive illustrations from when I was very little. Some of the illustrations scared me. Some were probably not meant for little eyes, like a book full of paintings of purgatory and hell (although they inspired me to seek for information on an afterlife.) There was another book that I was intrigued by and looked at often. Again, another one that I'm not sure was meant for little eyes to try and comprehend but I loved the art and how I was able to look at the books with a different perspective: Favorite Haunts, by Chas Addams.

We've read a few different spins on the wolf's perspective for the Three Little Pigs and for Little Red Riding Hood, but when I brought the one below home from the library and read it to the kids, Zane pulled back from it. The next day I was rounding up books to return to the library and Zane pulled it out from under a rug in his room. I asked how it got there and he said "I hid it there because I didn't like looking at it." I can only imagine this will be one that will stick with him forever.

I'm intrigued by perspective -- how the brain makes connections and the experiences and influences (distorted or not) that help shape it.

Zane also shared the other day "I don't like the corners of my room anymore. I want my room to be shaped like Vanessa's." I suggested we consider trading rooms sometime in the future but when I mentioned how his cousins and friends love his room and think it's cool, he decided he might keep it.