Monday, April 27, 2015

Time After Time

Zane spent a large part of one day setting up the Hot Wheels tracks throughout the house. Vanessa got home from school and they continued trying different arrangements and obstacles, testing how to increase and decrease speed so the cars would make it to the finish line. I love these moments -- when the kids work together and get so very lost in what they are doing that the rest of the world seems to stop.

If only we could stop and start time when we want. Zane is learning to wait and be patient and to use his time wisely while Vanessa seems to exhaust every second of every day. I recently shared with a couple of friends that Vanessa can be very much like the commercial where the mom tells her son they need to leave in five minutes -- the boy begins to imagine all he can unrealistically do in 5 minutes. That's so Vanessa.

The other day we were preparing to leave and I asked her to wait in her room while I wrapped up in the bathroom so I could come help her with a few things. Two minutes later she was in the middle of a new project and kept insisting she needed only a second more. I heard myself in her. :-) I get it. (Poor Daddy . . . :-))