Friday, March 13, 2015

Wild Coyote

Did you think this post would be about my children and their wild energy?! Wrong. :-) This is about a startling reality!

So we went on our first after winter snows bike ride a couple of days ago. Just moments after this picture was taken, Vanessa raced further ahead and I kind of jogged behind Zane in case he needed me. Before the white building ahead, though, I noticed a coyote charging in our direction from a field off to the left. I was processing how I could get to Zane without freaking anyone or the coyote out. The coyote continued running and crossed between me and Zane, racing across the road and in front of a car to the fairgrounds, where it continued to run at a very fast speed. For fear the coyote would turn around and come back, I told the kids we needed to go back home.

Zane asked if we needed to tell the coyote's people looking for him. We discussed why the coyote doesn't have people. I pointed out to the kids that the coyote would typically be too scared to come around so many people, houses and cars, so he must be hungry to come so close.  The kids responded really well to the experience. I'm a bit freaked out by the wild thought that not only do we have to worry about raccoons in the "city", we have to worry about coyotes!