Wednesday, March 11, 2015

In Your Dreams


I've not witnessed such a thing with my children . . . until recently. I'm not even sure if I've ever noticed such a strong connection between two little people. I've seen Vanessa have close connections with friends but I've not seen a little girl so very smitten by my baby boy.

She was a precious little girl, with a soft lisp. And the level of connection made me think of the beginning of the movie Up, which I hadn't seen until recently, and with her being a little girlier than the little gal in the movie.

Here's how I describe the most moving parts of the interaction. This little girl just started engaging Zane. Next thing I know it all unfolds in front of me. Zane offered to share his flashy Woody LED light. She said her grandma went to the bathroom and would bring her back something. A few seconds went by and the little gal sad "Well, I guess I could have a turn while I wait."

Zane offered it to her. From there we continued chatting. Both she and Zane were amazed by the fact they are both 4. They held up 4 fingers to prove it and touched their fingers together. She started singing "Everything is awesome. . . " over and over and I told her Zane likes to sing that phrase a lot too. Zane started getting silly with it "Everything is awesome . . . poop . . . everything is awesome . . . pee. . . ." I shook my head to maybe not do that for her. :-) Under his breath he told me to stop watching. :-)

Then she reached over and grabbed his shoulders and with a tight grip and a subtle shake said "I have to tell you something." Zane continued being a little silly and somewhat falling loosely in her grasp when she said again, all wide eyed and confident "No. Let me tell you something. . . ." She let loose and stood up tall placing her hands on her heart and said "My heart is here. Your heart is there. I have Jesus in my heart. Everyone can have Jesus in their heart." I pulled back in astonishment and interjected "Wow. That's very true." The little girl then started singing Agency D3 and I said "Zane knows that song too!"

A moment later, as the little girl was starting to ease closer to Zane and plant a little kiss on his nose and cheek (Zane edged back) her grandmother returned. Grandpa pointed out to the grandma that the kids seemed to be very interested in each other. I shared a few of the connections they made, pointing out her VBS references and such . . . the grandma said they go to Genoa Church. (Phil and Leah, she lives in Pataskala, so keep an eye out. Her name is Karas. Just tell Seth to keep his distance. :-)  As we departed we encouraged goodbyes. I told Zane he should give her a high five. They high fived. Maybe one day they will cross paths again. For now he's mine.