Friday, May 4, 2012

Engulfed (or "Going Coastal")

I decided last week that I could easily suffer through June, July and August in Florida, at least with air conditioning cranked. I could easily loaf on the beach all day, as often as I would like. (Believe it or not -- I could get a ton of work done there.) And I could easily leave skin reactions and sinus troubles behind in Ohio.

Can you blame me?! These were the conditions last Saturday, the last weekend in April:
While in Florida, we hung out at three beaches. Our first beach visit was along the causeway to Honeymoon Island. It was just enough to satisfy any obsession for seeing the ocean and playing in the sand . . . while I loafed.
It helps me to relax knowing Vanessa is helping to keep an eye on her brother . . .
 . . . and that she will take extra precaution when doing things like swimming in the ocean.
We ventured to Clearwater the next day and on Wednesday. There I could relax knowing Zane was easily entertained by walking up and down the beach and Vanessa was happy jumping waves until her legs gave out. When Zane tired of walking, he played happily in the sand. (Playtime with Grandma and Grandpa was an extra bonus too!) When I was ready to get off my bum to do something, Zane was content going for a ride in the stroller with the waves washing in, where he would fall to sleep for a good afternoon nap. He was also content being held on Daddy's shoulder while out in the ocean. On a few occasions, he sang.
Clearwater is beautiful, even with all the touristy related stuff. Our last day in Florida was spent at a beach in Fort De Soto. This place was less touristy and just different. Near the end of our visit there, one of the beach workers explained to us that it is predicted that in a few more years, the beach we were on would no longer be there, it would all wash out into the ocean and get moved to further south on the island. I guess Zane thought he would help the process.
At Fort De Soto, Zane didn't dig up cigarette butts and bottle caps, just shells and sticks.
Vanessa realized she should build her castle while she still had one last chance.
Daddy and Grandpa helped the beach workers prepare for the following weekend's forecasted storms.
Vacation 2012 has come and gone. So thankful for the time with family! Now . . . where to next? Vanessa wants to start the countdown . . . :)