Friday, September 18, 2015

Who's leading now?

Preschool storytime was huge for Zane this week. I hear he recites his memory verses in front of everyone in children's church, but I've never witnessed it. Many know how bashful Zane can be. But while at preschool storytime this week, where it's been fuller than years in the past -- probably 30-40 toddlers and preschoolers participating and about 20 adults in the vicinity, out of the blue Miss Carissa asked Zane to help her lead the group in drumming and clapping rhythms, fast and slow. It is not a habit of hers to pull kids up front, probably because it's been all she can do to get some of them to sit criss-cross apple sauce with listening ears on.

Zane didn't hesitate. And before I knew it, he stood up there with great concentration and with faces peering at him. When they were finished he high fived Miss Carissa (who he missed big time last week) and sat right back down. A few seconds went by and he turned around and mouthed "Did you see that, Mom? I helped her lead the class." I blew kisses, flashed big smiles and gave thumbs-up. He then mouthed "Wait till I tell Vanessa."

I was so very proud of him for taking a chance to do something that is typically very uncomfortable for him.