Monday, October 13, 2014

Because He Prays

"I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time - waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God - it changes me." ~ C.S. Lewis

One of the times Zane and I visited the First Responders Park in September, he asked why bouquets of flowers, letters and pictures were left behind. What a hard thing to explain. As we talked about memorials, Zane climbed up on one of the walls and knelt to pray.

His prayers are rich -- like he's having a conversation with God and no one else is in the room. His prayers are rarely rote. Last week he prayed something like the following for his sister, after she was sent to bed without a story and downtime with the family.

"Jesus help us. Help Vanessa to have a good night and help her to have a good day at school tomorrow."

She's a blessed gal to have such a caring and loving brother.