Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Fiery and Scary Pumpkins

Traditional pumpkin carving. V and Z liked exploring their ideas and freedom to do as they wished. 

Vanessa made a free floating pumpkin inside of a bigger pumpkin-shaped hole. She was critical of her final results but I loved it! It was a great opportunity for her to be flexible with perfectionism. Zane drew template designs all over the pumpkin and realized some parts would be hard to carve while keeping the pumpkin intact. With help from Daddy, cause Hendrix insisted he "can't do it", Hendrix wanted a scary pumpkin, so he directed and observed his daddy in the process. "I make scary pumpkin. Good job, Dad."

Hendrix didn't want to use his hands to pull out the guts this year. And Vanessa still gets extra excited when she does it. She and Zane worked really hard to get out as much as they could, but after noting my helping with Hendrix's, they requested I do the last step of scraping the sides. When I returned to porch from inside, they proclaimed "Mom wins the Cleanest Pumpkin Cleaner Outter!" I'll take that title since Daddy gets "Best User Of a Knife!"

Aside from carving a scary pumpkin, Hendrix most wanted to "Light fire in them. Make them glow. I light the candle!" And for several nights after, Hendrix would announce when it was dark out and time to light the candles.