Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Birthdays

I recently discovered a new word that describes me -- ambivert. I'm neither fully introverted or extroverted -- I carry tendencies for both. I have a hard time with receiving attention. But I've recently accepted that I'm directing an emotion or feeling of rejection on others by guarding myself from attention too much. This is something I do not want my kids to remember about me when I'm long gone. But we're all a work in progress, right?!

The outpouring of birthday  time, wishes and love reminds me that I'm overly blessed. It was also very neat to watch how the kids processed it all. Vanessa likes to make things and gift. Really both kids do, but I can tell Vanessa becomes unsettled when feeling like she's missed or might miss an opportunity. After celebrating with family, we got home and Vanessa ran upstairs to make me a card and to find some things to gift me. Her card had a lovely and sincere note inside. She then gifted me a chew toy she made for Hendrix, made of masking tape and ribbons. She also gifted a burp rag. Then Zane came down with a card he colored and  his cabinet from his bedroom full of goodies. As he shared each item -- a "gift card" (really a rewards card) for Hallmark and a key that came in the mail for a brand new mystery car -- Vanessa ran back upstairs for more.

Vanessa brought back a basket full of more things she wanted me to have. And so they continued taking turns (somewhat competing) to give me all the things that belonged to them that they thought I could use or share with Hendrix.

They were very sweet. I'm so very blessed by the thoughtfulness and connections they made, even though in my head I started to go a little crazy by the mess of gifts spread before me. :-)
Then for Daddy to help them with flowers (although I kind of ruined any surprise by walking into garage). . . my heart is full . . .
And I do believe this is a record breaking poinsettia for me. Adam . . . :-) There are some bonuses to having a birthday close to Christmas -- the party decorations are outstanding. :-)
Is it interesting that on a whim you can start to put something together and then notice that you're missing something, and you're not quite sure how to resolve it, but the perfect something or somethings show up?