Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Certainly Purposeful

This desk . . . not sure how old it is because I never thought to ask my great aunt before she passed. As a child I remember it always being in my great aunt's spare bedroom by her garage entry. It was usually a spot for piling things like mail, things for running errands, and every now and again there was a plant on it. It was treated as a junk desk with a natural wood stain and the original veneer top peeling up from water damage. It didn't have special glass cut for it to protect the top, as several other furniture pieces of my aunt's, grandparents', and great grandparents' had.

When Vanessa was a baby, I painted the stained desk black and placed it in her room. When Zane came along and Vanessa was ready for a different hand-me-down desk, I painted this desk white and placed it in Zane's room. He actually used it a lot in that tiny funky bedroom of his.  Now it's Hendrix's turn and once again it needs a touch of love, so I'm painting it black again to fit into their new room space. 

Some believe the Bible might imply that those who have gone on before us may be aware of some events and things happening on Earth. I can't help but wonder if my great grandparents, grandparents and great aunt are impressed by the blessing this once neglected desk is. I'm sure that really they're not very concerned with it because it is a material item, but if they glance at the happenings of those they held close, I have to believe they chuckle at how long it has lasted.