Friday, March 29, 2019

The Little but Big Things

It's funny how Adam and I started framing significant purchases and timelines with the existence of our kids. Our last washer was purchased when Vanessa was about 2 years old, cause I remember her studying how the washer worked. Last year we replaced that washer cause we hated the frontloader.

I've created such a habit with this that now I lose sight of when we purchased things before the kids' existence. When our dryer broke recently and weighing the decision to try and fix or buy a new one, Adam reminded me that my dad purchased that dryer for us, soon before our moving away from Gallipolis. He reminded me that when we bought my grandparents' refurbished set, upon moving them into a nursing home, the dryer broke soon after and my dad felt horrible we paid for my grandparents' dryer that didn't last us very long. That was my dad -- he always wanted things to be done right and well and was a man of his word. I think I happily accepted my dad's offering because I knew what it meant to him.

Sometimes my pride or unjustified and misdirected guilt gets in the way, though, and I feel regretful when it's too late to allow those we love and cherish to do something that means so much to them. But I've gotten better to redirect my thinking to wow, what a special and rare person to show such unconditional kindness. Most importantly I want my kids to know this kind of person and to strive to be like them.