Thursday, August 24, 2017

Second Place (First Day of School)

It's so odd to think we have a 5th grader and 1st grader and still one to enter. Maybe not a great thing, but I've gotten so comfortable with Vanessa's and Zane's performances in school, I forget to download their "report cards". A blessing, for sure.

I realized by the end of June or beginning of July that I had not even looked beyond their first milestone of academic success of last year. Eek! Luckily I was still able to download and save before updates for this year. But I also realized the peace of mind allows me to focus more on the emotional and social aspects of it all. That's certainly a blessing, too. The prevailing comments are that both Zane and Vanessa are eager and enthusiastic learners and serve as excellent role models for their peers. What more can a mom ask for?!

The reality is that we're spreading our wings even more this year. I supervise a lot of what they do but neither really need me as much as they did even 6 months ago. Bittersweet indeed . . . but it also reminds me that Hendrix will be gone before too long, so I'll swim in the second dose as long as I can . . .