Monday, June 22, 2015

Home Sweet Home


Zane likes to draw. Here he's making a shark for Daddy. "Daddy likes sharks."

Some other recent ramblings:

Zane: "You know what I missed while we were at the beach? I missed the iPad, home and myself."
Mom: "You missed yourself? What do you mean?"
Zane: "I mean I missed everything that belongs to me. I missed my bedroom and things in it. I missed this chair. I missed being here."

Vanessa and Zane have been all about being home recently. They haven't asked to go anywhere and seem to be exhausted from running. I guess all it takes is a short vacation to regain an appreciation for all the things that make it home.

**********************************************
Home inspired connections:
I walked through the dark dining room to the garage door and opened the door and turned on the light to toss something in there. I started to close the door when Zane called to me "Mom, aren't you going to turn off the light?" At the same time I turned off the light and turned to walk back his direction. Zane stopped me to explain "Mom, the garage is nocturnal. When you opened the door the light was on in the garage. Then you shut the door and turned off the light and it was dark. Even if you didn't turn on the light and you opened the garage door with the light off, the light shined up and down from here and filled the garage. It is nocturnal like Skar is nocturnal. He has some light even when you turn off his light."

**********************************************

I was explaining to a friend that Vanessa can spend all day crafting in various forms -- she bounces from one thing to the next.

She and Zane made a community of balloon characters to act out plays. She pulls out plastic cups and makes spy kits and other random things. She makes rattle characters and animals out of toilet paper tubes.

Last week she and Zane created a web out of crocheting yarn. It was thick in the play room and long and thin in the great room. Our neighbor stopped by and I showed it to her. Vanessa wanted to keep it up to show Daddy but I couldn't even walk through the house, so by late afternoon I grew frustrated and asked her to take it down before Daddy got home. Not sure why I didn't take a picture, except that I was struggling with making her take it down -- I love to watch their creativity pour out into our home . . .

We know we're at home when the rooms are cluttered from her several projects a day.