Monday, August 25, 2014

Forward, ho!

 Vanessa gave Mrs. Kibler the rhombus rock she found at Cedar Falls.
It was a week of finding many spiderwebs anchored from the tree to the ground. Our first one was by the house after taking Vanessa to school.
 I swear this kid gets funnier by the day. :-)
He's decided to run outside by himself and he pumps hard to go high! I watch from the patio, dining room or kitchen. Every once in a while I run out to snatch a photo.
He's exploring and playing and looking for a frog. Seriously . . . we can't find one . . .

Vanessa's school year kicked off to a great start. Hilliard City Schools challenged all of its schools to tweet first day pics and to hashtag them #hcsd1. The Credit Union of Ohio committed a dollar to every tweet, up to $25,000. Avery exceeded its goal of 102. It was indeed awesome to see Hilliard City Schools trending nationally on Twitter.

Vanessa didn't want me walking into the school on her first day. She didn't want to use the shortcut door either. She said she enjoys walking through the hallway so she can say hi to everyone. At the end of the day,  she exited through the shortcut, though, and ran over seemingly coy and reaching out to Zane with a gentle hug and kiss. I asked how her day went and she said well.

Really it was a perfect day. She had gym and was able to confirm that Timmy stayed at Avery for this school year. She saw him a few times and played Sonic with him at recess. On our way home, she saw him and ran up to him. Timmy gave her the friendly nudge on the shoulder and then reached out to grab her for a huge hug. It was sweet and so innocent and genuine.

On the second day Vanessa asked that I walk through the school with her. We dropped off extra school supplies to the office and followed Vanessa back. The downside of going in with her is that she didn't stick around to hug me. I called to her "See you at the end of the day, Babe." She looked back, smiled and waved.

Although pretty sad to walk Vanessa to school on her first day, Zane handled it well and much better than he did last year. He's eagerly jumped right into our busy days. As we run errands, he shares all kinds of thoughts, like "When I'm five I will go to school and first I will have math. Then I will have recess time. Then I will leave and go to another house where there are dogs. I will pet the dogs, first with one finger. I won't be scared anymore when I'm five. Then I will go back to school and you will pick us all up. You will take me and the other boys home."

Mommy: "I'll be taking home other boys too? To our home?"

Zane: "Yes. They will come home with me since not all of them have a mommy at home when they're done with school."

Thankful he's willing to share me. :-)