Saturday, February 14, 2009

Agapē

This was the last Valentine my grandmother was able to give me (Vicky). I think it's from '98. I love that it's from a collection she obviously had for many years -- that was often the case. Valentines were the most bare cards my grandmother sent. This card happened to be labeled "Victoria" (as seen in pic) and the back is signed "From - MAM-MAW and PAP-PAW LUMBARD." As if she needed to clarify Lumbard . . . but she always did . . . :)

My MAM-MAW's love was the richest in human form I've known thus far . . . and I can't imagine finding another to compare. She had a contagious, sometimes uncontrollable laugh. She was soft and warm. She hummed the most beautiful melodies, even during times of sorrow . . . She was modest. She loved EVERYONE! She was so enviably patient . . . :) I could find no flaw in her, and that was so comforting . . . and she was unbelievably humble . . . she had a high level of unavowed self confidence that made one realize she didn't need reassurance from any human because she completely relied on God for every ounce. Oh how I admire her spirit . . . examples of her character are what I strive to be . . . (but I realize I often fall short . . .)

Below is an example of a card my grandmother would send most often (which happens to be the last Christmas card she was able to give me.) She would spend lots of time and energy writing wonderful words of hope and encouragement, built around her strong and unwavering faith and her love for us. I'm sure she penciled in the evening she would spend preparing and addressing the card. She would then maticulously place appropriately themed stickers all over the envelope. I'm still tickled by her thoughtfulness, especially when I come across examples of it . . .
Her underlines and traceovers were definitely to emphasize her message to you . . . :)


My grandmother obviously holds a special place in my heart, as I know each of her grandchildren undoubtedly held their own unique place in hers. For now Vanessa alone holds her parents' in way only a child can: