Monday, August 6, 2018

An 11-Year-Old Vanessa

She just may stay 10 in my mind a while longer. It took me a while to remember that she was 10. I'm not sure how long it will take me to accept she is 11. I think about how she's only 5 years from the same age as when I started dating her daddy. Crazy!!! And her daddy is breaking in her car for when she's ready for that.

We're entering what can be scarier years with a daughter but I find comfort knowing she is a very strong and confident girl. Her friends gravitate to her because they feel safe with her. She befriends the unlikely because she wants everyone to feel included. Although saddened to watch other friends get sucked into the cycle of cliques, she prides herself, with consistent encouragement, to not fall into any particular clique.

One of our most interesting impromptu (and noteworthy) conversations recently revolved around types of parenting. She was describing a young boy who she believes has parents that are "totally free-range parents". Amazed at her explanation and use of terminology, I was flattered to learn that she believes we are parents that are in the middle of the spectrum -- right between helicopter parents and free-range parents. I asked her how she learned so much at such an early age and she said she's watched YouTube Kids videos on parenting styles. :-) Now my mom friends are all quizzing her to hear how she would label them. I've asked that she change the subject so she doesn't unintentionally offend someone with her personal opinion. :-) But how blessed are we that she falls back on this learned info to understand our rules and boundaries for her?! She still makes mistakes but she seems to take the discipline relatively well because I believe she is starting to get why parental involvement is vital.

She's into video games, sports, music and academics. She's been testing out different appearances. She told me recently, after her mascara smudged under her eyes (she doesn't need makeup but she is exploring a tad) that she kind of liked the dark look under her eyes but she will wait until 7th grade, since that seems to be a 7th-grade look. ;-)

I thank God for her and our time with her. It all happens so fast that I don't want to miss any of it. No day or time is promised to us, but I can embrace the moments as they present. I feel so blessed by that. Happy 11 years, Vanessa Marie!