Monday, May 18, 2015

"What the heck?!"

A common expression of Zane's.

But what about that face?! Daddy says the top picture is his favorite. And what about that hair?! Love!

On a return trip from Gallipolis, without Vanessa and Daddy, Zane said "I wasn't sure and I worried Vanessa isn't there. But you know what?! I had a really good time."

On the way there Zane talked about what to call different size pieces of wood. "What do you call a wood from a tree this size?" He showed me the length he was talking about. We came up with labels for various sizes, like twigs, sticks, branches and limbs."

Pointing to the rolling hills in southeastern Ohio, Zane asked "What do you think is way up on that hill behind the trees?" My reply, "I don't know. There could be more trees, mud, a house, cows, deer . . ." Zane interjected "I bet there's animal poop . . . and bad guys. Someone needs to go find the bad guys." I told him we'd leave the bad guys for his soon-to-be cousin Kayla's dad to find.

Between bouts of heavy rain, Zane asked me to roll down the windows so he could feel the breeze. He was totally lost in imaginative, adventure play.

We sang songs at the top of our lungs while people in other cars glared at us.

Zane enjoyed talking about places Daddy and Mommy lived and other landmarks. As we passed Pine Street Cemetery he exclaimed "Mom, we blew bubbles by your daddy's grave there one time." I answered, "Not this one but you're right in that we did blow bubbles at my daddy's grave. I'm sure he liked that. But actually, did you know your daddy used to mow the lawn at that cemetery?" Zane: "What, your daddy mowed the lawn there?!" Me: "No. We're confusing daddies. We blew bubbles at my daddy's grave, which in a different cemetery up the road. YOUR daddy mowed the lawn here." Zane: "My daddy Adam?! Oh . . . my daddy Adam . . . that's so cool."

Zane: "I love the up and down roads!"