Friday, November 22, 2013

Mam-maw, 100 Years

(Evelyn Lorena Gibson Lumbard, left; her cousin Sherman, right)
 (her sister Helen Louise Gibson, left; Evelyn, right)
 (one of my all-time favorites; Age 16)
(And yes, that's where I get some of my goofiness, or as Vanessa would say, my "weirdness." Mam-maw, center, and my father connected really well through their goofiness. In her later years, he made her laugh until she would hyperventilate. Auntie Helen, left; G-G Aunt Martha, right) 

I've mentioned my admiration for her several times on the blog. Today she would have been 100. I think of her legacy often and hope to instill her legacy in my children.

One thing she helped teach me is that God places and allows each and every person and interaction for His purpose. It is up to us to spin it in a positive or negative way.

Mam-maw spun almost everything in a positive way. She dug through the negatives to get to the positives. Her laughter and song fill my head.

Too many times I've gotten hung up on the negatives rather than focusing on the positives. I'm sure she did too. I'm so extremely thankful I witnessed her strength and unconditional love to work through that.

I discovered that she was effortlessly wired for joy. I'm sure this was possible through grace, and grace alone. I pray my children accept the same grace.

Recently Sparked Memories:
1. Uncle Phil brought up that Mam-maw demonstrated the Charleston dance for him in the kitchen of their Barboursville home. It reminded me when she showed me in her living room, in front of her fireplace. Separate occasions. What we remember is that it was like she was losing control because she was dancing so hard and fast, and we weren't sure whether or not we should put a stop to it. She completed it successfully without injury. We can't ever forget that.

2. She carried several copies of the Christian Worker Bible to hand out to various strangers who in that moment became her friend.

3. For someone who never smoked, she sure cleared her throat a lot. I think I got my drainage issues from her.

4. I wish I could get my hands on a news video she did in 1989, telling about her battle with colon cancer. It started out with her playing the piano and belting out hymns. I can still hear the unique way her voice and piano resonated through their humble home.

5. Uncle Thom likes to share Cracker Jacks with us to remind us that Mam-maw and Pap-paw almost always had a stash in their pantry.

6. She verbally warned me once regarding my consumption of Little Debbie Cakes. I was 14 and giggling with Aunt Diane (21 or 22) at their kitchen table. I obeyed and stopped at 3 or 4 but I remember thinking I didn't need her to tell me stop. I eventually learned I did. Who needs 3 or 4 Little Debbie Cakes?!

7. She learned to drive to acquire a drivers license -- you know, for just in case. And she renewed it continuously into her 70s, but she NEVER drove.

8. She loved roses, peonies and gladioluses. Pap-paw was sure to grow and manicure the flowers for her.

9. When she made lunches, almost everything in the refrigerator was pulled out. She made the moistest and fluffiest scrambled eggs - I think with real butter since they had a tinge of sweetness too. I was extremely familiar with the various refrigerators and freezer they had. This is also when we heard the stories about being bothered by watching her mother kill chickens. The stories were a little gory but you could sense her terror for the chickens. Her tuna salad always had sweet pickles and their juice and Worcestershire sauce in it. I've come to learn that not everyone does that.

10. She easily took two hours to get ready to leave the house. I'm not sure if time increased with age, but I remember my Pap-paw always attempting to speed her up -- she was sort of free-spirited in that way. Interestingly I never remember her being late or them arriving late. Perhaps Pap-paw was extra antsy by nature.

11. I remember her short stint with selling Avon. It seemed to me she did it to get the pieces she wanted and then quit. She loved that cranberry glass. We never used it and it was always stashed neatly in boxes in a cabinet.

12. She always had Wrigley's gum and Tic Tacs stashed in her purse to accompany the large amount of tissues. We counted on it for church services. And the pretty little fans she would bring for me to use. Not sure why we used them since their church was air conditioned -- maybe it was a habit of hers since her early days in church camps and revivals. 

13. I would guess she used anywhere from 15 to 25 hair pins to twist up her hair. For really special occasions she would put in pin curls before bed. I loved to brush her really long hair. I remember it thinning and the creative ways we hid those thin spots.

14. I loved to hide and play in their hallway closet. Mam-maw loved shoes, sweaters, hats and coats. She and Pap-paw shared that love.

15. She always had to have a working watch on her wrist, which is funny since she was nagged about her timing quite a bit. She wore broaches with every dress and blouse, sometimes even with her house dress.

I could probably write 100 things about ways I treasure her. She deserves that. But I'll stop for now since my list provides an adequate taste for her uniqueness.