Wednesday, August 21, 2013

1st Day of 1st Grade

We told Vanessa that this year she would start to walk into the school by herself. I didn't mean on the first day, but as we got to the front door, she turned and said "Mom, I got this. I know what I'm doing."

She did. And she did well. Fortunately the windows to her classroom are at the front of the building, so I peered in to watch her walk into the classroom. She didn't notice me for a few moments. She gave Mr. Harris a drawing, put away her lunch box, said hi to her friends, hung up her book bag, walked straight to her seat and clipped on her name tag. She then noticed me at the window and waved . . . and blew kisses. :-)

She had a great day even though there was evidence of anxiety on her shirt. She came out excited to share that she focused on her lunch and ate it all, before going outside to recess. Her favorite part of the day was music class. Her least favorite part was the noise in the cafeteria.