Monday, May 20, 2013

Zaniness in the Zoo

I feel so extremely blessed to be able to take my kids to the zoo whenever I feel like it. Vanessa and I enjoyed impromptu visits. Now Zane and I do. We go for an hour or two here and there, focusing on just an aspect or two.

When I asked Zane recently what he wanted to see at the zoo, he said "Moos and Mice, please." He wanted to see cows and mice. I asked him what else he would like to see. He said "Monkeys and fishies."

Here Zane and the toddler bonobos played hide-and-seek. I wasn't quick with the pictures because I was so lost in the moment and the sweetness of their play. They hugged and placed hands to hands on the glass. Their interactions brought a lot of awwing. One of the toddler bonobos seemed obsessed with Zane's hair. I couldn't help but wonder if he thought Zane might have something interesting hidden in his hair.
Zane climbed statues and asked that I take his picture. Of course that was after he checked to be sure if they were alive or not.
Zane found the okapi's tongue to be hysterical. We laughed and laughed as the okapi used his tongue to grab leaves from the tree.
Zane is very much into observing the animals. He runs from one viewing spot to the next.
How Zany is this?! The Dinosaur Island exhibit was to open on May 17. Zane was having fun pretending to drive the play safari cars. He was enjoying it so much that he caught the eye of THE Jack Hanna. Of course he wouldn't walk up to him and he wondered why I was trying to get him to walk up to some strange man. One day he'll appreciate the zaniness of the moment.
And we didn't go to the zoo to see regular cows, but we did hunt for "sea cows!"
The penguins provided a lesson in having patience when lining up to go in. It didn't seem like anyone was waiting at the door for them, but they were obviously ready to go in.
We can hardly wait for our next Zany visit!