Thursday, February 2, 2012

Simple Things

I love the slow days that allow us to bring order to our lives and allow Vanessa to explore her own agenda. Although we aim for few and far between, an unstructured day can be good for Vanessa. On this particular day she asked to use a roll of masking tape to fix torn paper. I handed it to her and then moved on to my endless to-do list, not once giving any rules or restrictions for using the roll. While I was doing my thing, she set out on a mission. She was so focused and so very creative, so it was worth the three dollars I probably spent.

Vanessa moved from the torn paper to the great room. I visually checked on her 15 or 20 minutes later. She had created a "web" in the great room and then tied herself to the middle of it. I acknowledged her creativity but also confirmed that she will clean up the mess. She agreed.
Then Vanessa used the tape with a balloon to make an ice cream cone. In fact, she made two, one for her and one for her brother.
At one point Vanessa used the tape to make bandages for her feet. She created things like purses. She fixed things around the house by taping parts securely. Before we knew it, the day was over. And near the end she wadded the tape into several different sized balls we used for playing various games.
Yesterday she wanted to make an indoor swing set. (And yes, even though we've been outside a ton these last couple of days.) And when I came back to check on her, she had. :) Her daddy is extra impressed by the knots she ties. But the swing had to come down so we wouldn't break the doorknobs.