Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Auntie

Helen Louise Gibson
December 30, 1920 - December 22, 2009
*********************************************************
There are a few of you who don't know that I lost my great aunt last week. Some of you have heard me mention her. My mother, brothers and I were her only family these last ten years. She was like a grandmother to me. While growing up, and when possible, we spent lots of time with her and my grandparents. She never married nor had children. She treated us like her grandchildren. Auntie was a light in my world. She wanted us to experience fun and happy things. She dressed us and treated us to enjoyable meals and special events. She taught me to care for others and how to be kind and patient. Through her I made many special friends. She lived a righteous life and was passionate enough to share it with us and anyone who came in contact with her.
Auntie helped to care for newborns in the nursery at Cabell Huntington Hospital. She enjoyed Vanessa. When Vanessa was a baby, Auntie found lots of enjoyment in holding and feeding her. And it was obvious that Auntie still had her special touch because Vanessa was quite comfortable with her. We last visited with Auntie in October. Auntie grinned from ear to ear watching Vanessa's endless energy, even though she was concerned that Vanessa wouldn't sit still to eat. :) And she talked about how pretty the dreamsicle swirls are in Vanessa's hair . . .
I have to be frank and point out that I don't have many photos from my childhood. The few I had were taken by my grandparents and Auntie. I thought I had in my possession all the photos there were of me . . . until Auntie passed last week. Through her several moves over the last five years, we had not discovered a blue photo album. I remember moving a bag of "business" papers that we were to keep a close eye on, but I don't remember the blue album. (Perhaps she hid it in her overnight suitcase.) In the album were lots of photos of me from my childhood. I couldn't help but think what an amazing Christmas gift.
As we sorted through her stuff, once again, I realized I'm a bit obsessive with photos -- the person who ends up responsible for my belongings one day, already has their work cut out for them. :) Auntie made quite an impression on me. She taught me many life lessons. I'll miss her silliness and sincere love.
It is only right for me to share some of her beloved photos via the blog -- she's the one who sparked my desire and passion for photos and family memories. Here are a few. We have tons.


Auntie -- youngest in front.

Center



Auntie, you are once again living in harmony with your mother, father and sister . . . rest in peace on your special day . . .